Colonel Bailey’s Dungeon
This is a prison named after Colonel Bailey who died here in 1780 A.D., this dungeon was used to hold captive many of the English officers viz. Captain Baird, Colonel Brithwite, Captain Rulay, Frazer, Samson and Lindsay by Tipu Sultan. It measures 30.5 mtr in width, 12.2 mtr in height and is built of brick and mortar.
Prisoners were said to be chained to stone slabs fixed on its walls along its inner periphery. During the seige of Srirangapatnam, one of the cannons rolled back, pierced the ceiling and fell into the dungeon. One can see it lying there. To a corner, one can see a deep pit and interestingly, there are two stories to its existence. One talks of the Kaveri water flowing from it upto the necks of the captives and thereby choking them into revealing the enemy ploys quickly and effectively. Another one talks of a secret passage to Mysore from there.
On the other side of the Banglore-Mysore highway lies the Summer Palace, one of Tipu’s favourite retreats. Built in 1784, it stands on a raised platform at a height of 1.5 metres. It houses the paintings, engravings, arms, coins and articles that depict the valiant victories and struggles of Tipu Sultan. There are ornate and beautiful frescoes, the corridors showcasing murals that describe Tipu’s ordeals in the battlefield against the British.
Many of these historic works of art are subject to neglect and it is indeed sad to see the deterioration of these invaluable documents that emphasize the glorious victory achieved by Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultanover the English contingent. It is a part of our glorious history and certainly needs to be preserved.
The mausoleum of Tipu Sultan, and his father Hyder Ali and mother Fathima Begam is located slightly ahead of the Daria Daulat. Built by Tippu Sultan in 1782-84, the Gumbaz is an imposing structure amidst the garden and stands on a high and wide platform.
The importance of Gumbaz lies in its well-shaped large dome, ivory inlaid doors, carved stone windows of fine workmanship and inscriptions. The Gumbaz has magnificent ebony doors decorated with ivory which was presented by Lord Dalhousie. The interior walls are covered with lacquer Tiger stripes which is Tipu’s favourite. A corridor lined by pillars of black amphibole walls Gumbaz.
Masjid-e-aksa a mosque is situated next to the Gumbaz.